It's all over the media that more and more Australians are turning to caravans and camper trainers, especially due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Caravans offer great versatility and affordability for family holidays and a wonderful option for touring and adventures around your own state or further afield when borders are fully open.
But while many are drawn to the freedom and appeal of lifestyle, it’s excusable that new-comers may overlook one very important aspect – you need to tow your caravan. Despite how good a driver you are, if you’ve never towed a caravan before, there are many very important pointers that you should be aware of. Towing can be a challenging experience for even veteran drivers and road safety is paramount.
While you’re considering which caravan you will purchase and while in the process of organising your Jade caravan loan, we share some of the basic information about towing a caravan.
- Ensure you select a caravan that suits your vehicle. You will require a 4WD or large SUV or ute to tow the larger caravans but some of the smaller, lightweight models can be towed with a passenger car. Before you commit to your purchase, ensure you have the right vehicle to tow it home.
- Get a tow bar fitted to your vehicle which has the capacity to tow the caravan you are purchasing. For safety, have it fitted by a professional. When arranging your Jade caravan loan, speak your consultant about the possibility of including the cost of purchase and fitting of your tow bar in your caravan loan.
- Check with your state roads department as to whether or not you need a special driver licence to tow a caravan.
- If possible, enrol in a course with a professional, accredited towing education company to teach you how to tow a caravan safely and properly. While you might see people many people comfortably towing a caravan on the major highways and making it look easy, it’s not all about going in a straight line. There will come a time when you need to reverse into a parking space, into your dedicated space at the holiday park or simply manoeuvre your caravan in and around your own driveway. You will be towing a lot of weight and you want to be confident that you have the skills to handle the challenge. Throughout Australia there are many providers of towing education and instruction courses. They are easily found online or check with caravancampingsales.com.au the Caravan Industry Association, NRMA, RACQ, RACV or other motoring organisations for referrals.
- If you intend to purchase a semi off road or full 4WD caravan and head off the bitumen onto more rugged terrain, seeking out a specialist trainer in this sector would be highly advisable. The last thing you want is to get into difficulty in a remote area with no phone reception to contact assistance.
- If you choose to teach yourself or have a friend show you the ropes, perhaps consider heading to a large empty car park or open area to practice and gain confidence before hitting the road on holidays.
- Ensure you complete the above steps and especially complete your course before you take delivery of your caravan because you will need to tow your caravan home from the dealers. As a memory jogger, while you are organising your pre-approved caravan loan with your Jade consultant, handle your towing prep and training at the same time. Then you’ll not only have your finance sorted but you will also have your vehicle and your driver skills up to speed also.
Pre-Trip Tow Tips
You can never be over-prepared when towing a caravan so here’s a few tips which we have sourced from experts to give you an idea of what you need to do before heading off.
- Attach the caravan to your tow ball and secure properly.
- Attach the chains, safety connections, electricals and other connections.
- Let off the brake and remove the jump wheel and secure safely.
- Turn off your gas bottles, remembering any additional bottles which may be included with a BBQ.
- Take a walk around the entire caravan and check that every window, hatch and opening is securely fastened.
- Check that any awnings are also secured.
- Inside, ensure all doors, drawers and cupboards are properly closed including the shower door. Don’t forget the oven, microwave and fridge.
- Move any loose items into secure storage so they can’t fall on the floor or fly around the inside.
- Close the door securely.
Safe towing is essential and having the knowledge and skills to master towing your caravan under all weather and road conditions is sure to enhance your caravan lifestyle experiences. There is a lot more to know about towing a caravan and we recommend that all our customers seek out further resources to expand their understanding.
Also sure to enhance your caravan experience is a Jade cheap caravan loan interest rates. So whatever caravan you intend to purchase, contact us for a quote on your finances. Your consultant will assist with all aspects of the loan application, quote and through to settlement to streamline your purchasing process.
To discuss a great loan for a caravan, camper trailer or RV, speak with a Jade Caravan Finance consultant 1300 000 003 about the options and the process.
DISCLAIMER: ALL INFORMATION PRESENTED IN THESE ARTICLES IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES AND BUSINESSES AND INDIVIDUALS SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL ADVICE IN REGARD TO THEIR OWN FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND CIRCUMSTANCES. DETAILS ON GOVERNMENT MEASURES, POLICIES AND GUIDELINES AND VEHICLE DETAILS AND SPECS HAVE BEEN SOURCED FROM PUBLICLY AVAILABLE WEBSITES AND SOURCES. LIABILITY IS NOT ACCEPTED FOR ERRORS IN THE INTERPRETATION OR PRESENTATION OF ANY FACTS AND DETAILS FROM THIRD PARTIES. WE ADVISE INDIVIDUALS TO CHECK DETAILS DIRECTLY AT THE THIRD-PARTY SOURCE IF REQUIRED.