The interest in caravans in general has spiked due to the travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic. But with so many different types of caravans, camper trailers and mobile homes to select from, it's worth considering the pros and cons of all types before plunging into a purchase.
One type of which has apparently become extremely popular with some buyers is the slide-on camper. This is not the same as a slide-out, pop-up or pop-out caravan/camper where a section of the vehicle slides or pops up to create more space. A slide-on is a specific type of vehicle which can be mounted onto the back tray section of a ute.
Utes and cab chassis vehicles are some of the biggest selling in the market so it’s probably not surprising that owners would want to make full use of their work vehicle for recreational activities with the addition of a slide-on.
The slide-on has many benefits, is versatile as it can be quite easily removed when at the destination or for storage and it turns a 4WD or off-road vehicle into an off-road caravan. Jade Caravan Finance provides loans for all types of caravans so if you’re considering a slide-on, not problem. You can use our calculators to estimate repayments and apply for a slide-on camper loan with us online or over the phone.
Benefits of a Slide-On
According to caravan industry experts, the key benefits of a slide-on are:-
- Ease of towing. There actually isn’t any towing! The slide-on is mounted onto your vehicle so driving and transporting your ‘caravan’ is much easier than towing. You will need a vehicle which has the capacity to handle the weight of the slide-on and it may take some getting used to driving with the extra weight. Some models to have the option of actually towing which can be a great alternative in some circumstances.
- Ease of transporting. If you dread parking or reversing when towing a caravan, then the slide-on might be your ideal option.
- Less Costs. Experts advise significant cost savings with a slide-on compared with a towed caravan. They include savings on rego, fuel use with the removal of the towing element, no need to pay extra vehicle costs if travelling via a ferry and no extra parking costs in some places.
- Less space required. When arriving at a camp site or even parking at home, the slide-on takes up much less space when mounted on your vehicle.
- When you arrive at your destination you can easily remove the slide-on and leave in a standing position and still have your vehicle available to explore and travel around. Many slide-ons are fully self-contained and offer all the facilities required for even free camp sites.
There are a number of manufacturers and models of slide-on campers for buyers to consider. Some are caravan builders that have included a slide-on in the range and others specialise in this particular type of RV.
Here are a few for you to review:-
- OzCape Campers ozcape.com.au Located on the Gold Coast, OzCape specialise in slide-ons and have models to suit single, dual and extra cab ute vehicles.
- Millard RV Slide On http://www.millardrv.com.au/slide-ons One of the well-known caravan manufacturers in Australia, Millard has slide-on models in their line-up.
- Active Campers https://activecampers.com.au/ Active Campers specialise in this type of RV with their point of difference noted as slide-ons designed as campers not simply as caravan that can be fitted to ute.
- Wedgetail Located in the Newcastle NSW region at Broadmeadow, Wedgetail specialise in slide-ons and manufacture right here in Australia
Loan for a Slide-on Camper
Jade Caravan Finance include slide-on campers in our overall caravan finance category. Our Secured Caravan Loan is ideal as a slide-on camper loan. With this loan, the slide-on is used as security against the loan, the borrower repays the loan in equal monthly repayments over a fixed loan term and Jade secures the loan at a fixed interest rate.
You do have the option of making additional payments if you choose and if you do and pay off the loan earlier, only minimal break fees apply.
The same interest rates that apply to caravan loans also apply to slide-on loans. You can refer to our lender comparison chart for interest rates being offered by select lenders and by entering your loan amount and preferred term, receive a quick estimate on possible repayments. Alternatively, head to our caravan loan calculator and input the data around your loan requirements.
Need a fast slide-n loan quickly? Apply online or just call us for a quick quote, to apply over the phone and receive a cheap interest rate loan for your slide-on.
Your Jade consultant will assist with the paperwork, provide fast approvals and prompt settlement so you can slide your slide-on onto your vehicle and head off on your travels.
To discuss a slide-on camper loan, call 1300 000 003 and speak with one of our Jade Caravan Finance consultants.
DISCLAIMER: THE DATA, POLICIES, INFORMATION, CONTENT AND REFERENCES AS PRESENTED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE FOR GENERAL PURPOSES ONLY AND ARE SOURCED FROM RELIABLE SOURCES BUT NO LIABILITY IS ACCEPTED SHOULD THERE BE ERRORS OR MISREPRESENTATIONS OF DETAILS IN THE CONTENT. THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED AS THE SOLE PURPOSE OF MAKING FINANCIAL DECISIONS. READERS SHOULD REFER TO A FINANCIAL ADVISOR OR ACCOUNTANT IN THE EVENT THAT THEY REQUIRE PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE AND CONSULTATION ON THEIR INDIVIDUAL FINANCIAL POSITION.