Caravans, RVs, camper trailers and motorhomes offer flexibility and freedom when it comes to holidays and touring. But what really enhances every trip is good planning. If you’ve just bought your first caravan or you’re planning on a longer trip, perhaps to an area you’ve never visited previously, we’ve compiled some tips and hints to assist in the pre-trip planning.
Deciding where you want to go is clearly the first step and secondly, what route you’ll take to get there. If travelling somewhere you are not familiar with, check with authorities on road conditions.
- If travelling up north during the wet season, check with local authorities if the roads are expected to be passable.
- When planning to travel in alpine regions during winter but at any time, check road conditions and forecasts with authorities to ensure the roads will be passable. Be aware that winter conditions can change quickly and dramatically and snow and ice can pose serious dangers. Stay tuned to local radio for updates while you are travelling.
- If travelling in summer, check the bush fire rating for the area. We’ve seen too many times in Australia how bush fires can start very quickly spread to vast areas. Checking ahead may prevent you being in a bush fire prone area at the wrong time.
- Check for cultural and sensitive issues. If you plan to travel in areas with indigenous communities, be mindful and respect cultural issues and sites.
Ensure your van is suited to the road conditions you expect to encounter. If you have an on-road vehicle, travelling into inland areas may not be a good idea. Many inland roads suddenly change from bitumen to red dirt or corrugated surfaces which the suspension on an on-road van is not built to withstand. Either stick to the bitumen or upgrade to an off-road van.
Check where the facilities are available on your route:-
- Petrol stations
- Rest stops
- Toilet facilities
- Food and supplies stores
- Medical services
- Internet coverage and mobile phone services. If these are not reliable, consider purchasing a radio phone or other form of communication.
Local council websites in the regions should provide the information you need.
Vehicle Maintenance and Service
Always have your vehicle professionally maintained and serviced before an extended trip away. Follow the manufacturer’s checklist for regular maintenance and pre-trip checks of various componentry, water tanks, gas bottles etc.
Note the location and contact details for your caravan manufacturer service centres in the area you intend to travel – just in case!
Choosing a Holiday Park
Holiday park or caravan park? Holiday parks tend to be the term used for contemporary facilities which cater for caravans as well as having on-site cabins and other activities.
- Holiday parks have evolved into destinations themselves, offering a wide range of activities for even the most active families. Facilities may include swimming pools, water slides, games rooms, communal BBQ and kitchen facilities and many more activities.
- If you’re say a couple that prefers a quieter environment, perhaps seek out a caravan park which caters for your style.
- If travelling with a pet, ensure the park you select is pet-friendly.
- If planning to set up camp on your own, ensure that is legal in that area. Local council websites should provide that information.
- National Parks have restrictions as to what they permit in their parks. If travelling through or planning to stay in a National Park, check the conditions and costs.
- Book ahead. Holiday and caravan parks can be very popular at any time of year.
- For some ideas on where to stay check out https://www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks
It’s great to have the freedom of touring in a caravan but you need to be flexible. During the coronavirus, we’ve seen how state borders can be shut at relatively short notice. Floods, fires, cyclones and other natural weather events can also happen at short or no notice.
If such an event occurs on your travel route, be prepared with a back-up plan. Do you pre-trip research and planning for an alternative destination so you’re not caught out.
Enjoy Your Caravan Life With a Finance!
At Jade Caravan Finance we want all our customers to enjoy their touring and holidaying and we want even more people to experience the fun and freedom that caravanning has to offer. If you’re in the market for a new or your first caravan, review our articles on some of the leading caravan manufacturers in Australia and contact us to discuss finance.
Jade Caravan Finance offers the best interest rates on Secured Caravan Loans with:-
- Fixed Interest Rates
- Fixed Loan Terms
- Fixed Monthly Repayments
- Loans sourced from a large number of banks and lenders
To discuss a great caravan loan, contact Jade Caravan Finance and speak with one of our consultants 1300 000 003
DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IS FOR GENERAL CONSIDERATION. ANY REFERENCE TO OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POLICIES HAS BEEN SOURCED FROM AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT AND STATE GOVERNMENT SOURCES. INFORMATION ON INDIVIDUAL VEHICLE SPECS IS SOURCED FROM THE MANUFACTURER WEBSITE. NO LIABILITY IS ACCEPTED FOR ANY ERRORS IN PRESENTATION OR INTERPRETATION OF THE FACTS AS PROVIDED BY THESE SOURCES. WE ADVISE ALL INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES TO REFER TO THEIR ACCOUNTANT OR FINANCIAL ADVISOR FOR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE SPECIFIC TO THEIR INDIVIDUAL CIRCUMSTANCES.